Note: This template is NOT compatible with the latest version of Pligg. Please see Pligg Templates Update Status.
I recently ported my old blog Futurosity from WordPress to Pligg. Since so few templates were available, I adapted the Solemnity template from Six Shooter Media, hacking the design into the default Pligg template from Digital Nature (I’ve already posted the Free Pligg Template: FuturePligg Solemnity).
This new template, UpstartAqueous, is also based on the Digital Nature template and another great template from Six Shooter Media.
I’m making this new template available for download, but be warned: Like FuturePligg Solemnity, it’s a hack job. I ported this template mostly to learn a bit more about Pligg; unfortunately, I don’t have time to clean things up. As far as I can tell, everything works, but it needs tweaking. Most of the problems are cosmetic and you’ll probably make your own changes (styling the links to your liking, etc.).
Here’s a preview (click to enlarge):
You’ll find a list of things you should change below. I may have overlooked something; if I have, please post a comment. If you download UpstartAqueous, please do post a comment if you run into a problem and make the changes available if you fix them. Oh, and do check out Futurosity and become a member!
Note: The latest version of this template is for Pligg beta 9.1. Make sure you’re running the correct version of Pligg, or you may encounter problems.
You can download the template, Upstart Aqueous 0.4 (updated 4.2.07), by clicking here. After unzipping, upload the entire UpstartAqueous04 folder to your /templates/ directory.
Be sure to subscribe to Upstart Blogger to be notified of updates!
Before installing the UpstartAqueous template, you’ll want to edit a few template files. The template files end in .tpl and can be edited in any text editor.
- In header.tpl, you’ll want to change the name and description.
- In pligg.tpl, you’ll want to change the description for your site and the favorite links (they’re in pligg.tpl).
- Edit the footer.tpl file to add your copyright information and add any stats tracking code you use. Please keep the design credits intact! Thank you.
You’ll find more information about Pligg template files in Understanding Pligg Template Files.
After uploading the template folder:
- Open /templates/templates.tpl and add this line (on one line; no line breaks):
- Go to your admin area.
- Click on Configure [YourPliggName].
- Click on Template .
- Under Template, click on the name next to value (if you haven’t already changed templates, this will say digitalnature).
- Type in UpstartAqueous04 and click Save.
The following issues are known. I don’t have time to track them down right now. If you come up with a fix, let me know and I’ll update the template and make it available for everyone.
- The login area of the sidebar doesn’t align properly. The problem has to be simple, but I haven’t tracked it down. Arrrg! [Fixed for Safari in 0.2]
IE7 reports three errors. It’s torture to troubleshoot this in VirtualPC, and everything seems to work, so I’d appreciate it if a Windows user could help fix this.
- There are some alignment problems with the feed icons in IE7. This is a problem in the Digital Nature template as well. Any ideas?
- Uploading of avatars is broken.
This template is released under the same terms as the Aqueous template. Please see the README file.
Please keep the footer links giving credit to Digital Nature, Six Shooter Media, and Furturosity/Upstart Blogger.
0.1 Original port.
0.2 Fixed login alignment in Safari. Eliminated two IE7 errors by deleting unused Java scripts. Updated for Pligg beta 9.1.
0.3 Fixed broken links for upcoming pages.
- Added Published submenu to header (accidently deleted in 0.3).
- Fixed missing avatars (this was an old Pligg bug that snuck into the template).
- Fixed Category links.
- Removed RSS icons from Category links (I’ve been unable to fix the alignment in IE 7 and I notice that yget doesn’t use them). If you still want to use them, replace /sidebar_modules/category.tpl with /sidebar_modules/category_rss.tpl (i.e., delete category.tpl and rename category_rss.tpl to category.tpl).
- Modified footer to condense credits. I’ve deleted the credit for Digital Nature since by now I have cut and paste code from yget as well and Pligg is already credited. Please leave these intact. Thank you.
Again, if you have any problems, please post a comment. Enjoy!