I’m releasing my first WordPress theme, Upstart Blogger Minim, based on an old design I used on Futurosity. This WordPress theme is compatible with WordPress 2.3 and is designed to be:
- Minimalist: Very clean and easy to read.
- Fast: Lightweight, for speed.
- Ad-friendly: The columns are sized specifically to accept standard ad formats. See the README file for examples.
- Easy to install: You can install without plugins, though three simple plugins are recommended and included.
Here’s a preview (click to enlarge):
Or, view the demo.
You can download the theme, Upstart Blogger Minim, by clicking here.
Be sure to subscribe to Upstart Blogger to be notified of updates!
- Open the UpstartBloggerMinim folder, then upload the ubminim folder to your WordPress theme folder.
- Open the Plugins folder inside the UpstartBloggerMinim folder. Open each plugin folder and read the readme files for installation instructions.
- If you’re using WordPress 2.2 or higher, you are already widget compatible. If not, if you don’t already have the WordPress Widgets plugin, go get it and follow the instructions to install it.
- To select the theme, go to the Presentations tab of your WordPress admin and select Upstart Blogger Minim.
- If you have the WordPress Widgets plugin installed and activated, a new tab, Sidebar Widgets, will appear. Click on the tab to arrange your widgets. To find more widgets, check out Plugins/WordPress Widgets.
- Edit the sidebar by opening and editing sidebar.php.
- Replace the /images/header.jpg image with your own. I recommend using an image with the name of your blog, in which case you can delete these lines from sidebar.php:
< ?php bloginfo('description'); ?>
- If you want to use a separate Archives page, create an Archives page in WordPress admin and select Archives as the page template.
Three plugins are recommended and are included. Here are the links, if you want to check that you have the latest versions:
Upgrading from Earlier Versions
This update added the new tags for WordPress 2.3 and cleaned up various files. If you have an earlier version installed and you’ve thoroughly tested all of your pages after making any modifications you’ve made, you’re probably all right. There were no changes to styles.css.
This WordPress theme is released under the Creative Commons Attribution v3.0, meaning you can do pretty much whatever you want with it, but you should (please) keep the link back to Upstart Blogger, either in the sidebar or the footer. See the README for details.
0.1 First released 04.12.07.
0.2 Updated 04.23.07. Removed a few overlooked remnants of my old site. Fixed 404 page.
0.3 Updated 04.24.07. UB Minim is now widgetized!
0.4 Updated 04.30.07. Fixed broken links in the archive page. (Thanks, dissi!)
0.4.1 Updated 04.30.07. Oops! Fixed a typo introduced when I updated to 0.4.
0.5 Updated 05.02.07. Fixed a number of missing or misplaced tags that were causing problems in IE. Also, a little dusting and cleaning, e.g., removing extra lines at the ends of files (which might cause feed problems).
0.6 Added note to edit sidebar.php if you want to change the About or Clickage sections. Fixed archive and category pages so they now match the style and font sizes of the front page.
1.0 I think I’m through making changes (unless I’ve introduced any new problems), so I’m calling this 1.0. Minim is now compatible with WordPress 2.3. Fixed a number of missing or misplaced tags, cleaned up some extraneous code, fixed search results to match other pages.
Patrick Dumarché has released a French localization of Minim. Download Upstart Blogger Minim en français and replace the files in the original Minim theme with the translated files in Patrick’s release.